Today, we show you how to make a super tasty vegan cheesy broccoli casserole which is low in salt and tasty!
Our special low sodium products we used are:
-Imagine Organic Vegetable Broth “Low Sodium” (140mg per 1 cup)
-Eden Organic Garbanzo Beans “No Salt Added” (30mg per 1/2 cup)
-Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese (120mg per 2 tablespoons)
*The rest of the ingredients we used are little to no sodium
**Although the MorningStar crumbles and Daiya cheese are not as low sodium they do give the dish nice flavor and extra protein.
1½ cups uncooked long grain brown rice or your preferred rice
1 package MorningStar Crumbles
1 quart vegetable broth (divided into 3 cups and 1 cup)
1-2 tablespoons olive oil
½ cup chopped white onion
½ cup chopped green pepper
3 cups chopped fresh or frozen broccoli
5-10 basil leaves as desired (optional)
¼ cup water
1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
1 (8-ounce) container chive and garlic imitation cream cheese
**You can buy regular imitation cream cheese and season it with chives and garlic powder
1 cup vegan shredded cheddar cheese, plus more for the top
¼ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
1. Cook the rice according to the directions on the box using the 3 cups of vegetable broth instead of water. You can use a rice cooker or a large pot to cook the rice. Set aside.
2. Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 9″ x 13″ casserole dish. Set aside.
3. Meanwhile, in a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat.
4. Add the onions, green peppers and broccoli; stir for 1 minute or until tender.
5. Add ¼ cup water, cover and continue to cook for an additional 5 minutes stirring once or twice or until broccoli and onion are tender and heated through.
6. Remove the pot from the heat and add remaining ingredients including the cooked rice and remaining 1 cup vegetable broth, stirring to combine. Stir in extra seasoning as desired.
7. Spread mixture into prepared dish and sprinkle with extra vegan shredded cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Eat and Enjoy!!