For those looking for lunch easy to pack, yummy and healthy, your answer is chickpeas salad sandwich! Today I’m sharing one of my kid’s favorite recipes. They love this salad as a sandwich with whole wheat pita bread, but you can serve it with lettuce wraps, tortillas, any bread (GF if needed), or just on its own.
🎬Contents of this video
0:00 – Intro
0:14 – How to prepare the chickpeas salad
1:10 – How to prepare the tahini dressing
1:55 – How to serve the salad
🖨️ Printable recipe
Ingredients (4 salad servings)
• 1 15.5 (439 g) oz can chickpeas (or 1 ½ cups cooked chickpeas). Reserve some liquid (aquafaba) for the dressing.
• 1 14.1 oz (400 g) can heart of palms drained.
• ¼ cup celery, chopped.
• ½ medium red onion, chopped.
• ½ cup shredded carrots.
• 2 tbsp tahini (for a creamy texture).
• 2 tbsp lemon juice.
• 1 tsp dijon mustard.
• 2 tbsp of balsamic vinegar.
• ½ tsp garlic powder.
• ½ tsp onion powder.
• 1/2 tsp Dill, dried.
• 3 Tbsp aquafaba.
• Salt and pepper to taste, optional (depending on your dietary needs)
1. Add chickpeas to a salad bowl and mash them with a fork or potato masher. You can leave some whole if you want.
2. Drain and chop the heart of palms, and combine with the chickpeas. You can lightly mash this mixture.
3. Mix in celery, red onion, and carrots. Combine all ingredients.
4. In a small bowl, mix the tahini, lemon juice, Dijon mustard, balsamic vinegar, garlic powder, onion powder, black pepper, and dried dill. Add Tbsp of aquafaba until you get the right dressing consistency (you can also use warm water instead). Pour this quick dressing onto the salad and stir to combine.
5. Taste the salad and adjust the flavor if you need it.
6. Serve on its own, or spread the desired amount onto a slice of bread (whole grain, whole grain pitta bread, Gluten-Free bread, etc.), or serve with lettuce wraps. If you are preparing sandwiches, add your desired toppings (lettuce, arugula, cucumbers, tomatoes, etc.)
7. Enjoy this fresh, healthy, and tasty salad!
Thanks for watching! And subscribe for more vegan recipes!