Okonomiyaki (お好み焼き) is a savory Japanese pancake!
160 grams cabbage
180 grams yamaimo (3-4 inch piece)
40 grams fresh shiitake mushrooms (2 large mushrooms, thinly sliced)
20 grams scallions (2-3 scallions, chopped)
30 grams all-purpose flour (~1/4 cup)
1/4 teaspoon salt
16 grams benishoga (optional)
2 tablespoons Kombu powder
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1. Shred cabbage leaves
2. Peel the yamaimo and then grate it
3. Add the cabbage and scallions to a large bowl and then toss them together with the flour and salt until evenly coated.
4. Add the grated yamaimo, kombu and benishoga and mix this together well until it forms a batter
5. Heat a griddle or heavy-bottomed frying pan over medium heat until hot. Add 1 tablespoon of oil and spread it around.
6. Add half of the batter to the pan and use a spatula to give it form it into a round pancake that’s about 3/4-inch thick. Be sure the okonomiyaki is an even thickness and is making good contact with the pan.
7. Cover the okonomiyaki with a lid, turn down the heat, and let it steam for 2-3 minutes.
8. When the okonomiyaki is partially cooked on top and golden brown on the bottom, flip it over. Cover it back up with the lid and let it steam for another 2-3 minutes.
9. When the okonomiyaki is done, plate it and then top it with the condiments as shown in the video above.