Butternut Squash and Chickpeas cooked together with coconut milk in this tasty curry make for a wonderful meal. Serve this over rice or with rice/roti..This dish is wholesome, nutritious, quick to make ( in pressure cooker) and tastes delicious. I usually make it in bulk and freeze portions for later use.
For more tasty recipes, tips and product reviews please
Our facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/EatEastIndian
Follow us on twitter: https://twitter.com/EatEastIndian
2-3 tbsp Oil for cooking
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 small chopped onion
1 tbsp minced garlic
2 tsp curry powder
2 small chopped tomatoes
1/2 to 1 cup water
400 ml Coconut milk ( 1 can)
salt per taste
1 tsp red chilli powder
1 tsp turmeric
2 cups chopped butternut squash
2 cups of chickpeas ( uncooked and I soak these in water overnight)
1 tsp dried fenugreek leaves ( kasoori methi)
4-5 stalks of cilantro chopped ( for garnish)
1. Soak chickpeas in water overnight (or atleast 2 hours) If you are using canned chickpeas then this step could be eliminated.
2. In a hot pressure cooker, add oil and stir in onions, cumin seeds.
3. Add Squash, salt, turmeric and chilli powder. Mix well. Add garlic minced.
4. After few mins, add tomatoes and let them become tender.
5. Add chickpeas ( discard water they were soaking in), curry powder and coconut milk.
6. Add water as needed. Mix everything well and add dried fenugreek leaves.
Cover the cooker and cook on high for a whistle. After 1 whistle, turn heat to medium and cook for another 3-4 whistles. Turn off the heat. Let cooker cool down then open, garnish with cilantro and serve with rice.
Music: Jalandhar by Kevin Mcleod