1. a pinch of saffron (tips: buy from persian food store or Indian food store… you will save $$$, or you can pay $$$ from Safeway, Vons, etc)
2. 3 cans of chicken broth
3. 6 cups of rice (long grain, or short grain, what ever rice you like)
4. 2-3 cups of mixed vegetable (carrot, peas, beans, etc)
5. 1 cup of olive, pitted
6. 1 tomato, diced
7. 1 large onion, diced
8. 1 large bell pepper, diced
9. 1 pound of mussel, cleaned and beard removed
10. 1 pound of medium shrimp, deveined
11. 1 pound of chicken meat, diced into large pieces
12. 1 sausage, about 1lb or so, diced into thin disc about 1/8 inch thick
1. use a large shallow pot, heat over medium fire
2. put 2-3 spoon of olive oil on the hot shallow pot
3. put the onion, tomato, bellpepper in the pot, stir in low-medium heat until the moisture is removed, about 5 minutes. This is called the soffrito.
4. After the soffrito moisture is removed, add sausage, chicken, and stir until the chicken turn a little brown, about 5-7 minutes
5. In another pot, boil the chicken broth
6. after the broth boil, put the heat to simmer, and throw in a pinch of saffron, let it steep for 5 minutes on simmer.
7. in the large shallow pot, with the soffrito, chicken, sausage, pour in the chicken broth infused with saffron
8. pour the pre-washed rice in, adjust the amount of liquid if
necessary by adding water, so the paella won’t be too dry or too wet.
9. How do you know how much liquid vs rice? The height of rice from bottom of pan, should be equal to height of liquid above the rice.
10. simmer the whole mixture for about 5 minutes or so, stirring occassionally to prevent burning on the bottom of the pan
11. you can see the rice getting plump up inside the hot liquid after about 5-6 m,minutes
12. put the lid on the pot, cover properly to to make sure steam doesn’t escape too much from the pot
13, put the pot with lid inside an oven, preheated to 350 degree F
14. After about 30 minutes inside the oven, take out the pot from the oven and the rice should be fully cooked or very close to it
15. If so, then you want to put the veggie and seafood and mix them up really good, and put the pot with lid back in the oven for another 10 minutes.
Thanks for watching!