This vegan breakfast sandwich is a classic comfort food which features a savory tofu scramble and a homemade cashew “cheddar” cheese spread. This melty, stretchy cheese spread also makes the perfect vegan grilled cheese!
FULL WRITTEN RECIPE:
Vegan Cheddar Cheese Ingredients:
1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked if not using a high-speed blender
1 cup water
2 tbsp tapioca starch
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp white miso paste
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon maple syrup
1 teaspoon onion powder
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon turmeric
Tofu Scramble Ingredients:
1 block medium firm tofu, drained and pressed to remove water
3 tbsp nutritional yeast
1 tsp smoked paprika, less if your paprika is very spicy
1 tsp onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp mustard powder, or yellow mustard
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp black pepper, plus more to taste
3/4 – 1 tsp salt, or to taste
2 whole wheat or gluten-free rolls or english muffins, sliced in half
Any toppings you’d like such as avocado, tomato, onions or spinach
1. To make the vegan cheddar cheese: Combine all ingredients in a blender then blend until completely smooth and creamy. Pour this mixture into a saucepan over medium low heat and stir until it thickens. It will be clumpy at first, but just keep stirring and eventually it will form a thick, melted cheese texture. Once thickened, scoop this mixture into a mason jar or other sealed container and store in the fridge for up to a week. This cheese spread can be reheated and thinned out with a bit of water to make a cheese sauce for pasta, or used as a thick melty cheese spread on a grilled cheese or other sandwiches, such as on this tofu scramble breakfast sandwich.
2. To make the tofu scramble: Drain and press your tofu to remove the water.
3. Mix all of the spices together in a small bowl, then stir in the water to form a paste.
4. Heat a nonstick skillet over medium heat. Using your hands, crumble the tofu into the pan and then spread it out to cover the surface of the pan using a wooden spoon. Allow it to cook for about 2 minutes undisturbed, until slightly brown underneath. Then, stir and flip it and let it rest in the pan again to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
5. Give it another stir, then pour over the spice paste. Mix until the tofu is evenly coated. Cook for 3-4 more minutes until the spices are fragrant and any water from the paste has dried up. Remove pan from heat and serve right away.
6. Use as a vegan version of scrambled eggs on breakfast sandwiches, in wraps, over tortillas and beans for huevos rancheros, or enjoy with a side of breakfast potatoes.
To assemble the sandwich: Lightly toast your roll or english muffin, then spread your cashew cheese on one or both halves. Load it up with scrambled tofu.
For a spicier version, add in a pinch of red pepper flakes or chipotle chili powder, or top with hot sauce. Lazy meal-prep version: Skip the tofu scramble and just slice your block of tofu into 1/2 inch thick cutlets. Marinate the cutlets in a mixture of 2 tbsp tamari and 1 tbsp nutritional yeast, then store the uncooked marinated cutlets in the fridge for using on sandwiches throughout the week. Before putting them on your sandwich, pan fry in a nonstick pan for 2-3 minutes on each side, or toss a tofu cutlet your air fryer and bake for 10 minutes at 360 degrees F.
Lady Jane- Rolling Stones, piano cover by Harry Völker